Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Simple Life

So let me start off by saying that envy is for me, the hardest thing to avoid. I am easily swayed by what another person has or wants and it is not limited to "things".



“Envy is a symptom of lack of appreciation of our own uniqueness and self worth. Each of us has something to give that no one else has.” Anonymous



As I was driving home from the grocery store today I watched a couple walk hand in hand down one of our "small town" city streets and I was envious.

Now what did I envy of this couple taking a Saturday stroll? Was it that they were obviously in love? No, I am fortunate enough to have that. Was it that they were smiling and happy? No, I too have a happy life. Truth was that I could have taken that same walk in that same way if I were to drive straight home and asked my SO to go with me. So what was it?

I'll describe the couple a bit more in detail.... maybe then we can uncover what touched a nerve in my and sparked the feeling of envy.



The boyfriend, SO or spouse was wearing tattered blue jeans a few sizes too large with a worn out t-shirt and scuffed up tennis shoes. He was of average height and weight with nothing distinguishing about him in any way. The woman was also wearing faded blue jeans and a t-shirt with some sort of advertisement on the front. Her shoes, like his were worn. Her hair was in a dirty pony tail and her face, like the man's was just an average face. Her weight was on the heavier side but she was not obese.

The street that they walked on was part of our quaint but beaten downtown area. With stores opening and closing like doors this part of our town is slowly on its way out. I knew by where they were that their house was within walking distance and BAM - there it was....


And no, I did not envy their small run down house since I have two nice homes of my own.

It was in a nutshell, "The Simple Life". That was what I craved. The very ease of waking up after sleeping in, rolling out of bed and going for a walk because there simply was nothing else to do.

Funny huh? I would wager a bet that the very same couple if given a chance to respond would be rather irritated. Looking deeper into their life could bring light to a pile of unpaid bills on the kitchen table, unemployment about to run out and perhaps the tattered clothes they wore was their only pair.

It just shows how we can have so much and still have nothing. There will forever be something that we want - contentment is a joke and I believe that because we are designed as "seekers".

Our only way to truly find peace is to seek the right thing.

What about you?

What are you seeking? What do you envy?


I'll shut up now, thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment