Thursday, August 12, 2010

Walking Eccentric

Lately my posts have been about life, moving and beautiful life. The art and the act of trying to live as best we can. And in this state of mind I have become very observant of people.

Today as I looked out my living room window as I moved dishes from the sofa table to the sink and I saw a man walking. Not an unusual site for my neighborhood but immediately he struck me as odd.

He was early to mid sixties with dark hair and glasses. He wore a blue and white striped shirt, black sports shorts, long white socks pulled up to his calf, and brown leather loafers. Uniform aside, his gait was one of purpose filled chaos.

It was all I could do not to laugh as his arms swung wildly front and back, front and back. A rhythm to be sure but no music in his ears. With his gaze fixed straight ahead looking as if he was headed somewhere... but where?

Had his car broke down? Was his grandson ahead of him on a bike? Did his dog run off? Perhaps a neighbor was coming out their front door that he wanted to catch before they went back in. Yes, I could almost see his hand lifting up for a wave.

Putting it out of my mind I continued on with my day. but to my surprise, an hour later I saw him again. The only difference was that he had removed his shirt and now held it in one of his hands. I have to admit, it altered his gait a bit to hold it.

So, sixty minutes later this man in brown loafers was still out walking. I wanted to know why so I did the only thing I could at that point which was to watch him. I moved to my second floor and found a window overlooking his neighborhood path. There, I sat watching as he walked and walked and walked.

It was almost as if Forest Gump himself had entered our subdivision. I feared that like Forest he was walking from something. In fact with each passing lap it became more clear. His face was fixed in stern concentration and this walk was punishment.

Instantly I felt sorry for him. What was eating at him so much that he needed to punish not only his mind but his body? I began to hypothesize.

a recently deceased wife
an estranged child
a lost grandchild
being fired
feeling alone

Slowly I went back to my household chores and I let the image slip from my mind.

It was only when I left three hours later to go pick up my son that I thought of him once more. Backing out my car to the site of him in my review mirror, still walking. I gasped with surprise.

I'll shut up now, thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment